Otter Disaster Designs - Pop Culture Themed T-Shirts

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A Wild Idea . . .

Many people are concerned with how to deal with plastic grocery bags.
I have always been interested in weird or alternative building methods.
Growing up in Kansas I was always interested in Straw Bale Construction, as bales of straw are plentiful.

I wonder if plastic grocery bags could be square baled in a way similar to straw and used as a building material just like straw bales. I don't know if they would have the same insulation factor as straw, but I bet it would be close and I bet it would be just as strong. Someone with some land, access to an industrial baler and tens of thousands of grocery bags should give this a try.

There are already lots of these bags out there and they could provide an energy saving, low cost construction material while reducing a significant solid waste problem.

No comments:

Past Disasters